Yaxha – Nakum Jungle Tour
2 days-1 nights
This fantastic adventure starts with visiting the third largest Maya City after El Mirador and Tikal, Yaxha, located on a lake with the same name.
The site holds about 500 excavated structures connected by causeways and trails under a green tropical forest. In 2006, Survivor Guatemala, one of the well-known survival contests, was held at this archaeological site.
Then we continue to Nakum, located 17 km (11 miles) north of Yaxha. Nakum´s visible architecture is the main attraction of this Maya site, surrounded by dense tropical forest. Here you will find the best-preserved and restored crest structure (above the temples) outside of what you can see in Tikal.
- Highlights: Yaxha – Nakum Archaeological sites
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Pick up / Drop off locations: Flores island
- Activities: Archaeology – Scenic views – Birdwatching – Hikes – Nature
- Group size: Minimum 2
- You will visit: Yaxha – Nakum
- Holiday Type: Community Jungle Tour
- Trip Style: Couples – Small Groups – Fit’s
- Comfort level: Standard
- Transportation: Minibus
- Physical demand: The Trip may include activities like walks and hikes
- Round Trip Transportation from Flores to Yaxha
- 1 night of lodging in campsite (includes hammocks, mosquito nets, and blankets)
- All meals (1 breakfast, 2 lunches, 1 dinner, purified water)
- Trip according to the program
- The local tour guide, support during the whole journey (Spanish speaking only)
- Horses to carry the stuff (From Yaxha to Nakum)
- Entrances fees to the archaeological sites
- First aid kit
- Services not mentioned in the final itinerary
- Horse to ride
Book This Tour
US.$. 345.00 P/P
Yaxha Nakum Jungle Tour: Day by Day Itinerary
Day 1: Flores – Yaxha – Nakum
Departure time: 8:00 a. m. We will pick you up at your hotel.
Arrival at Yaxhá National Park: 9:00 a.m. (80 km away from Flores)
Jungle walk to Nakum: You will be led by a local guide expert in Flora and Fauna. The walk is 17 km far, i.e., 4 hours to the Nakum site.
Country style lunch: We will have lunch on the way to Nakum.
Prepare Camp: After lunch, we will set up our hammocks and camp to rest for a little while.
Surrounding exploration: Before sunset, we will visit the archeological site of Nakum.
Dinner: Will be served at the Nakum campsite.
Day 2: Nakum – Yaxha – Flores
Jungle morning wake-up call.
Breakfast: will be served at the Nakum site.
After breakfast, you will start your walk back to Yaxhá National Park.
Lunch will be served at the shore of the lake Yaxhá.
After lunch, time to explore the archaeological site and see the sunset from the top of temple 216.
Return to your hotel: After sunset, you will board the minibus and head back to your hotel in Flores or Santa Elena.
PERSONAL RECOMMENDED EQUIPMENT:
We suggest the following list of the equipment that in our opinion works best on our trips. However, it is not mandatory or exhaustive, so we encourage you to make all kinds of suggestions and queries, we remain at your entire disposal to listen to them.
Small Backpack with:
- Comfortable Long Pants (quick dry)
- Comfortable Shorts (quick dry)
- Long-sleeved Shirts (quick-dry)
- Lightweight Raincoat
- Fleece Jackets
- Cap or Hat
- Hiking boots (if you plan to bring a new shoes, we recommend that you wear them at least a week before the start of the trip, to get used to them)
- Flip Flops
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Portable Power bank (solar is better)
- Insect Repellent
- Prescription or daily use medications
- Personal Items
- Small Towel
- Utility Knife