Yaxha – Nakum Jungle Tour
Take a thrilling 2-day-1-night Yaxha to Nakum jungle tour and experience the captivating Mayan ruins hidden within the dense jungles of Guatemala.
The journey begins with a visit to Yaxha, the third-largest Mayan City.
Nestled on the shores of a picturesque lake of the same name, this impressive site features over 500 structures interconnected by trails and causeways under a lush green forest canopy.
Next, continue the adventure to Nakum, located just 17 km (11 miles) north of Yaxha. Nakum boasts remarkable visible architecture, surrounded by dense tropical forests.
The highlight of this Mayan site is its best-preserved and restored crest structure towering above the temples – a rare sight outside of the renowned Tikal ruins.
As you explore the intricate and captivating ruins, immerse yourself in the impressive history and culture of the Mayan civilization.
Experience the thrill of traversing the rugged terrain of the jungle and the peacefulness of camping under the stars in this awe-inspiring journey through the ancient Mayan world.
- Highlights: Yaxha – Nakum Archaeological sites
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Pick up / Drop off locations: Flores island
- Activities: Archaeology – Scenic views – Birdwatching – Hikes – Nature
- Group size: Minimum 2
- You will visit: Yaxha – Nakum
- Holiday Type: Community Jungle Tour
- Trip Style: Couples – Small Groups – Fit’s
- Comfort level: Standard
- Transportation: Minibus
- Physical demand: The Trip may include activities like walks and hikes
- Round Trip Transportation from Flores to Yaxha
- 1 night of lodging in campsite (includes hammocks, mosquito nets, and blankets)
- All meals (1 breakfast, 2 lunches, 1 dinner, purified water)
- Trip according to the program
- The local tour guide, support during the whole journey (Spanish speaking only)
- Horses to carry the stuff (From Yaxha to Nakum)
- Entrances fees to the archaeological sites
- First aid kit
- Services not mentioned in the final itinerary
- Horse to ride
Book This Tour
US.$. 345.00 P/P
Yaxha Nakum Jungle Tour: Day-by-Day Itinerary
Day 1: Flores – Yaxha – Nakum
Departure time: 8:00 a. m. We will pick you up at your hotel.
Arrival at Yaxhá National Park: 9:00 a.m. (80 km away from Flores)
Jungle walk to Nakum: You will be led by a local guide expert in Flora and Fauna. The walk is 17 km far, i.e., 4 hours to the Nakum site.
Country-style lunch: We will have lunch on the way to Nakum.
Prepare Camp: After lunch, we will set up our hammocks and camp to rest briefly.
Surrounding exploration: Before sunset, we will visit the archeological site of Nakum.
Dinner: Will be served at the Nakum campsite.
Day 2: Nakum – Yaxha – Flores
Jungle morning wake-up call.
Breakfast: will be served at the Nakum site.
After breakfast, you will start your walk back to Yaxhá National Park.
Lunch will be served at the shore of lake Yaxhá.
After lunch, explore the archaeological site and see the sunset from the top of Temple 216.
Return to your hotel: After sunset, you will board the minibus and return to your hotel in Flores or Santa Elena.
PERSONAL RECOMMENDED EQUIPMENT:
We suggest the following list of equipment that works best on our trips.
However, it is not mandatory or exhaustive, so we encourage you to make suggestions and queries; we will surely listen to them.
Small Backpack with:
- Comfortable Long Pants (quick dry)
- Comfortable Shorts (quick dry)
- Long-sleeved Shirts (quick-dry)
- Lightweight Raincoat
- Fleece Jackets
- Cap or Hat
- Hiking boots (if you plan to bring new shoes, we recommend that you wear them at least a week before the start of the trip to get used to them)
- Flip Flops
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Portable Power bank (solar is better)
- Insect Repellent
- Prescription or daily use medications
- Personal Items
- Small Towel
- Utility Knife